1750 Mingo Indians, the Native American tribe of the Six Nations group from the Senecas live along the Ohio River at the mouth of Cross Creek (called Shenanjee) in what becomes known as the Mingo Bottoms; Mingoes were sometimes known as the Ohio Senecas and typically migrated.
1755 A white girl Mary Jemison is abducted from Philadelphia and brought to Jefferson County and Mingo Bottoms where two Mingo squaws care for and raise her.
1756 Mingoes are trading furs at Fort Pitt, later visited by Colonel Cresap.
1758 Confrontation of Captain Gibson from Fort Pitt with Little Eagle and Mingoes at Cross Creek.
1770 October, Colonel George Washington makes a trip to Mingo for the purpose of inspecting the lands for locating claims. He travels down from Fort Pitt in “steady snow” and surveys the area from Brown's Island to Cross Creek, noting 20 cabins and 70 inhabitants of the Six Nations. He drinks from Potter Spring and his troops sleep in there. He is further guided by two Mingo Indians.
November 1770, Washington returns for three days and notes the commercial and nature possibilities of the river area. They continue to Fort Pitt when horses are brought to them.
1772 Chief John Logan is village chief , known as a brave man and peacemaker.
1774 Logan’s family and others are lured to a tavern, given whisky and murdered by a group of settlers, supposedly under direction of Colonel Cresap from Fort Pitt. Logan and the Mingoes seek revenge on settlers from then on.
1780 Chief Logan continues attacks on settlers until his own murder this year by other Native American.
1783 Squatter Joseph Ross and his wife and sons settle in Mingo Bottoms area on Wells farm; child Absalom Ross born in Bottoms area. Ross becomes 'first landlord' in that he issues a "tomahawk" claim over Bottoms land. Ross becomes friends with frontier scouts Daniel Boone and Lewis Wetzel, the latter residing in Mingo Bottoms from 1783 to1786; Wetzel does the “White Man’s Leap” off of Route 7 area when pursued by Indians.
1786 Sale of Jefferson County lands is held in Steubenville, sold at $1 per acre. Capt. John Hamtramck and First American Reginent explore Mingo Bottoms area to map Northwest Territory. A fort is first considered for Mingo Bottoms area then built at Fort Steuben site 3 miles upriver in Steubenville, subsequently turned over to surveyors and then destroyed by fire in 1790.1797 Steubenville is surveyed and laid out for a city.
1800 Presbyterian missionary, Reverend Lyman Potter and his son-in-law Jasper Murdock purchase 600 acres of property known as Potter’s farm and Mean’s farm. Potter farm is near the river, and Means farm along the rise at Paulman’s Knob. Other early farms are owned by Henry Adams (eventually taken by Carnegie Steel Mill), Altamont and Hill farms (Northwest), Miller farm (near the ore docks), and Peeler farm (including much of Church Hill), also Wells, Jump, and Wabash farms. South in George’s Run were Connell, Reese, and Bailie farms.
1801 First visit to Georges Run by Jonathan Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) visits friends.
1803 Ohio becomes a state, first governor Edward Tiffin; Thomas Jefferson, then President of the United States.
1806 Jonathan Chapman (Johnny Appleseed) returns to visit friends in Georges Run.
1809 Mordecia Bartley, who will become Ohio’s 18th Governor, settles in Mingo.
1837-1847 Judge Halleck lives on Means farm, presides on Circuit Court in Steubenville.
1841 First school, Oak Grove School, is built on land donated by Robert Hill, on triangle of land on Wilson Ave. and Montgomery Lane; the building is enlarged in 1891 and 1938; in 1945 it is incorporated into Mingo Junction School System and renamed Hills School.
1853 Steubenville and Indiana Railroad is built, a branch runs from Mingo Bottoms to Steubenville.
1855 C & P Railroad, river division of Penn System, is built.
1856 School opens in George’s Run on Old Wells Farm, first full-time teacher Jarvis Scott.
1860 Civil War…Mingo Bottoms area is used for recruiting and training at what was called “Steubenville Camp.”
1865 Large Peace Celebration at the end of the Civil War held at Potter’s Grove.
Early marks of move
from agricultural to industrial community: Lyman Potter sells the
grove” to capitalists for an iron works, and another plot to Matthew
for an oil refinery on the East Side. When Standard Oil Company opposes
refinery, Hodkinson turns land into a brick yark, cooper mill, and
mill. Peeler family has a broom factory on the corner of Clifton and
1870 First U.S. Post
Office comes to Mingo.
1871 Daniel Potter Jr., a lumber merchant, upon the death of his father, forms a company with a Mr. Abrahams, and Mr. Robert Sherrard, bankers from Steubenville, as executors of the estate. June 1871, they lay out the land consisting of forty-five lots. Mr. Elisha P. Potter next opens up an addition of twenty-five lots. December, 1872, Daniel Potter and Mr. R. Sherrard, add a second addition of forty-seven lots—this making a total of 117 lots for building upon.
Railroad depot is erected and contains Western Union telegraph agency, and accommodates passengers traveling the Cleveland and Pittsburgh or Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroads.
1872 Industrialization: Iron Works is
erected and plans
are laid out
for a town. Oil refineries, brickyards, copper mills, planing mills,
coal shafts and coke ovens soon follow.
1873 Chestnut Ridge School (later named Franklin School) is erected at a cost of $3,000 on the hillside overlooking Commercial Street where Central Schools will later be built. It is a two-story building with two classrooms; four more are added a few years later. The building is sold in 1906 to the Odd Fellows Organization and a portion is moved to an adjacent site overlooking Ravine Street.
Potter Memorial Presbyterian
pastor is Rev. T.V. Milligan, early elders Adam Peeler, Sr., John H.
Elizha Potter, William M. Hill, J. H. Erwin. A Methodist Protestant church is
built in TheBottoms area.
1874 First Methodist Episcopal Church is launched by Bernard Herron, meetings are held in the Pennsylvania Railroad Station, then in a small building on St. Clair Avenue. The building is enlarged in 1929, first minister Rev. J. A. Rutledge in 1884.
1878 Train wreck west of Cross Creek
east and west bound trains collide killing 14 and injuring 30-40
1880 Iron Works is taken over by Mingo
Company with a 238 foot shaft near the depot, high quality coal.
blast furnace (“Isabelle”) are
trestle runs across main street (Commercial) to railroad yard. Iron
later merged into Auction Iron and
Steel Company which expands into the
Bottoms area and includes a bar mill and nail factory as well as a
later known as the Laughlin and
Junction Steel Company. Means farm has
capital drift mine. A hotel is run by A. Carson. Stores: a dry goods
house by Mrs. Hirshfield, a grocery and dry goods store by Mr. David
groceries sold by Mrs. McClusky and P. Goff.
1882 July, shipwreck and sinking of The
excursion ship collides with the John Lomas offshore. of Mingo.
was returning to East Liverpool overloaded with 400 passengers; 75
passengers drown in 15-20 feet ofwater, many trapped in lower
1883 Mingo Junction is incorporated as a village. First mayor William C. Loyd; Chester A. Arthur is then President of the United States.
1885 Catholic Mission in Mingo is linked to St. Francis Church in Toronto, Ohio.
1886 Logan School is opened on the East Side, Mingo Bottoms, to accommodate over-enrollment at Franklin School; eventually it is purchased by Carnegie-Illinois Steel Company and torn down around 1943 when Wheeling Steel buys Bottoms land.
1889 St. Agnes Catholic Church small structure and rectory is opened by Father Walter Ross; Rev. Daniel A. Coffey is pastor during 1904-1916, and has a book about his time in Mingo in A Mill Town Pastor: The Story of a Witty and Valiant Priest by Rev. Joseph Conroy.
1890 Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad opens, running from Steubenville, through Mingo, to Martins Ferry, Ohio, later opened into Pittsburgh in 1905. First brick pavement laid in village.
1893 Lincoln School is built on 36 acres on North Hill, four room, two-story; in 1926 four more rooms are added. Building is closed then demolished in 1962.
1894 Aetna Standard Iron and Steel Company purchases Laughlin and Junction Steel Company which adds continuous and finishing mills.
January heavy river flood waters cover The Mingo Bottoms.
1895 Slovak Presbyterian Church is begun when a group of immigrants from Austria come to the area to work; first meetings are held in the basement of First Methodist then Potter Memorial Church. Early minister is Rev. William Regnemer.
1898 St. Agnes Catholic School opens its doors in a two-story wood frame building on St. Clair and Steuben Streets. Classes are conducted by the Sisters of Charity from Nazareth, Kentucky. In 1902 the Franciscan Sisters of Charity begin conducting the classes.
1900 National Steel Company buys plant in Mingo. Brettell Coal Company is formed by Thomas and Edward Brettell to supply coal and also ice. Coal field north of city along Route 7 is purchased and a modern steel tipple is erected; a drift mine is opened by the Brettells and they begin selling their own coal.
1901 Entire mill works is bought by the Carnegie Company, Carnegie-Illinois Group, a subsidiary of U. S. Steel Corporation producing 8” and 10” sheet bars for hot mills, and slabs and billets.
Ohio Valley Traction Company builds first trolley lines over scenic Altamont hills between Mingo and.
Workers at Mingo Carnegie plant join union of Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers but withdraw again in 1903.
1905 Trolley line is reorganized under Steubenville and Wheeling Traction Company and runs along the river road to Steubenville. Wabash Railroad opens to Pittsburgh.
St. Andrew Russian Orthodox and Greek Catholic Church organized in meetings; first church erected 1906, Lincoln and Stanton Avenues; pastor Father Alexis Toth; early organizers Stephen Kundrat, Michael Olexia, John Halechak, John Sabol, Michael Andrachak.
1906 Holy Resurrection Serbian Eastern Orthodox Church begun, purchase Methodist Church located in Mingo Bottoms, members coming from Columbus, Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Toronto; first priest Rev. Father Savo Voyvodich; after Wheeling Steel buys lands in Mingo Bottoms, in 1947, the congregation moves to a new church in Steubenville.
1907 First Central School Building is constructed of brick and stone on former site of Franklin School facing Commercial Street. Oakland Cemetery is opened.
1910 First Slovak Presbyterian Church is opened, eventually raised in 1960 to make way for new Route 7 highway.
Harmony Methodist Church is begun under lay leaders; then under guidance of Rev. D. B. Cope; church is razed during highway construction and moved to new site in George’s Run.
1913 January, heavy river flood waters cover much of The Mingo Bottoms.
1915 Brettell Coal Company begins supplying Carnegie-Illinois with coal.
1916 Rev. Father Joseph F. Dooley comes to St. Agnes Catholic Church parish and is there during construction of the new brick structure begun in 1921. He serves from 1916-1953.
1917 Dec. 10, Central Building burns; classes are held in Odd Fellows Hall and basement of Methodist Church.
St. John the
Baptist Byzantine Catholic Church is begun by a group of Slovakian
in houses, then a church erected in 1927, administered by Rev. John
1919 End of World
War I, veterans return home to
1920 Central School #2 opens in October. It contains a school building housing all grades and an Auditorium which seats 565 people on the main floor and balcony. School building consists of four floors including the board of education and superintendent’s offices and a gymnasium.
1921 April 21, cloud burst loosens hillside and tumbles earth and water and Brettell Coal Company tipple down the hillside. New mine is begun on McLister Avenue, one mile west of city.
1923 Brettell Coal Company opens its modern coal tipple, now employing 150 men.
The First Baptist Church begins meeting at the corner of State Street and Cleveland Ave. in Mingo Bottoms area; in 1929 the Rev. S. J. Bridges becomes pastor and serves for 32 years; in 1935 because of mill expansion, congregation moved to 428 State Street, then in 1965 under leadership of Rev. Roosevelt Suggs; they purchase the former Potter Memorial Presbyterian Church at 113 Schoolway.
1926 Harmony School K-8 is built in George’s Run, principal Wilbert Brown.
1929 Central High School building is constructed and opened the following year. It consists of three floors, and all four years of high school classes are conducted there. New gymnasium is added in 1957.
1935-1936 Famed Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes begins his teaching and coaching career at Mingo High School under John Muth.
1937 Great Ohio River Flood hits town, waters rise up Commercial Street to city building.
1941-1945 During WW II, Carnegie-Illinois Mill produces deck plates for war ships and submarines, and is commended by the U.S. Government for record breaking production.
1944 Brettell Coal Company begins strip mining.
1945 End of WW II.
Wheeling Steel purchases Mingo plant from Carnegie-Illinois and buys up surrounding lands in Mingo Bottoms.
1947 Brettell Coal Company opens third coal tipple on South Commercial Street.
1948 Native youth, Joe
Fortunato wins recognition as football player and a scholarship
State University, signing and playing for the Chicago Bears 1955-1966.
1949 St. Bernadette Catholic Church begins with chapel and rectory at 2107 Commercial Street in George’s Run; church building is dedicated in 1950.
1950 Huge snow storm blankets town and Ohio Valley.
Annunciation Catholic Church is established in Hillsboro area on former farm of William Bloomer; barn is converted into a small church under leadership of Rev. Father Francis J. Bruckman; in 1958, a church building is begun by Father Francis Brown, dedicated in 1960.
1955 St. Agnes Memorial Elementary School opens its doors in new brick building on corner of Murdock and Peeler Streets, adjacent to the church.
The singing group The
Antones record pop
ballads, members included Joey Pizzoferrato
[Joey Farr], Pauly Visyak,
Petey Graceffa and one Steubenville member Anthony”Chatta”Johnson,
replaced by Sammy Ciafradone.
New City Building is constructed on old site with new offices
and Community Center.
1957 Salk Polio vaccine is distributed locally to Mingo school children by Drs. Riney and Albaugh.
1958 Joey Farr joins with members of rock group The Savoys to record hit songs as The Mingo Men, consisting of Robert Cutri, Dan Pizzoferrato, Bill Mitchell and Ronnie Morris.
1959 April 27, fire damages old gymnasium in Central Building.
George Otis sings with The Stereos who record several hit songs.
1960 Potter Memorial Presbyterian Church and Slovak Presbyterian Church merge to form First United Presbyterian Church of Mingo Junction; new building is opened on McLister Ave. and Legion Drive in 1963.
1961 Raynes Methodist Church is erected in Hillsboro area and named after founder Rev. Ernest Raynes.
1966 After protests and law suits filed by the citizens of Mingo Junction, the Ohio State Board of Education forces a consolidation of three school districts, Mingo, Cross Creek, and Wayne into a new Indian Creek School District. First superintendent is Troy F. Penner, followed in 1967 by William Merryman, former principal of Mingo High School, with Martha Sisler as secretary. High school students are bused to Wintersville High School building.
1968 Merger of Wheeling Steel and Pittsburgh Steel Corporations into Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Corporation, ninth largest steelmaker in U.S.
New Hills School opens on 157 acres.
Community Days...Teen Sing Out Celebration coordinated by Mingo
1976 Pageant Play "Echoes in the
Valley," script by Nancy Kenny and Mary Visnic, presented in
School Stadium with townspeople as Frontiersmen, Indians, and
characters , George Washington, Chief
Logan; performed annually for a time.
Robert Parissi of rock music group Wild Cherry records national hit “Play that Funky Music.”
1977 Filming of The Deer
Hunter with Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep and others begins
in Mingo Junction; film is released in 1978 and wins r Academy Awards
1978 Snow storm hits town and whole
1979 Old Central Building is closed,
year, and eventually torn down, along with Auditorium.
1981 Filming of All
with Peter Falk is done in Mingo and elsewhere.
1983 Filming of Heart of
Steel with Peter Strauss is done for HBO Films.
1984 Filming of Reckless
with Adrian Quinn and Daryl Hannah is done in part in
Mingo Women's Club
initiates Clean Up Program.
Beautification Committee headed up
by Mingo Women's Club coordinates
of street and highway
clean-up through volunteers. New Welcome to Mingo sign erected, and
$30,000 renovation of Potter's Memorial Spring site.
1988 Filming of documentary film James Wright’s Ohio is
Mingo (Koba and Smith Productions, funded by Ohio Humanities Council);
premiers locally at St. Agnes School Auditorium, shown on PBS channels.
1991 Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel
emerges from bankruptcy.
1995 Web Page “Mingo Junction: The
on the Internet” is launched by Nial Pashke.
1996 United Steel Workers of America strike Wheeling-Pitt Steel Mill; it lasts 300+ days, ends summer of 1997.
2005 Mingo receives $400,000 Community Development Block Grant for infrastructure and street landscaping. Mingo Womens Club assists in landscaping of Oakland Cemetery and
2008 August, Severstal Corporation (Russian based company) purchases Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel plant in Mingo; shuts down all production.